Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Boon or Bane?

I was for a lunch at a restaurant one day, and as I was alone, I took a local journal to thumb through the pages. But as I went to the table, I was shown a small gadget placed on the table, that more looks like a point of sale system (POS) without a cash drawer :-), but instead has some cool apps built-in. Apart from ordering your menu, it has Games, Latest Movie Trailers, Music etc. Its a ziosk and it more looks like a mini-iPad hooked to a standing frame. I am going to come back to this restaurant..more often than I usally go, I thought. What's nice about the ziosk is, I didn't have to wait for the check. Swiped the card and got a receipt right there.. I thought these were replacements for the human cashier.

Well now, I am lured by not the delicious-looking food, but the cool-looking gadget. Aaha..this is where I enjoy watching the science take over values. The brilliant minds rule us, no doubt. we have indeed made a glorious leap into the 21st century that will make history in years to come. That said, there is more to be unveiled, I am sure. Science a boon or a bane? Whether its a curse or a blessing, life sometimes demands going at its pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment